Elder's Nguyen's Favorite Scripture

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

"The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

"Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

- D&C 122:7-9

Monday, October 15, 2012

Letter - Written on Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dear everyone,

Surprise!  I was told I could write a letter today (Saturday) by the mission president, so here it is.

How is everyone?  I bet Michael and AJ were really glad to have some time off from school. 

I hope everyone is enjoying school and that Michael is enjoying seminary.  Seminary is a very good thing to have, we're very lucky to have it.  So enjoy it!  It's not meant to be torture!

Did everyone enjoy conference?  By the time you get this, conference will be over, but I hope you all heard something worth remembering.

I bet you were surprised when President Monson announced that missionaries can now begin serving at 18.  I certainly was!  I want to speak to Michael and A.J. a bit here.  Start preparing for your missions now.  I don't necessarily mean to start saving money now (though that wouldn't be a bad idea), I mean to start preparing spiritually and physically.  Eat healthily, exercise every day, and get into the habit of doing your own laundry weekly.  Read your scriptures and pray daily, go to and participate in seminary and church meetings.  I promise that if you do these things, you will be prepared to serve the Lord whether you serve at 18, 19, or 21, and that you will be an effective instrument in bringing souls to the Lord.

In her last letter, Mom asked me if there is anything else I would like to have here.  There are two things.  One is some ramen from Ranch 99.  The other, however, is more important.  There are... I think they're bags, that you put stuff into, then seal, then put a vacuum to it and it removes all the air.  The elders here say that these bags make packing much easier.  I would like some of these bags.

I hope everyone is doing well!  I'll be back sooner than you realize.  You (and I) are going to wonder where the last two years have gone when I return home.  Though it seems like a long time when we look ahead, what matters isn't the end of my mission.  What matters is what I do during these next two years in the service of the Lord.  Remember that!

Love, Elder Nguyen

No comments:

Post a Comment