Elder's Nguyen's Favorite Scripture

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

"The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

"Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

- D&C 122:7-9

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Email dated Tuesday, September 11, with Pictures!

Hello everyone!  How are things back home?  Everyone's busy with school in some way, right?  Who has the most work to do?  I bet that Michael, not A.J. is going to end up with the most homework later in the year. 

Everything's fine here.  I've bought a bunch of note cards and stuff to help me learn Vietnamese.  It's working O.K, I'm now actually able to teach a simple lesson about prayer without notes.  Unfortunately, I can't share it here because I can't type tones on this computer.  Sorry.

Also, to Michael, though it doesn't really matter who reads this.  Just hi?  Wow.  Tell Mr. Williamson, Mr. Kulish, and Mr. Goar that I said hi!  And say it in Vietnamese.  That is, Anh Ca Nguyen noi Xin Chao! (Pronunciation, An Ka Nguyen noi (upward accent) Sin Chao)  Translate for them if they don't understand.  They probably won't.

To A.J., I think that's a chess game is a good idea.  Next time I send a letter, I'll send an extra sheet with my first move in chess notation.  We can use that to play a quick game.  (But I'll probably win.  Just saying.)

I'm sending you some pictures with this letter.  The first picture would be me and my companion, Elder Neil.  The next two are my district at the Temple.  The last two are pictures of a Sunday where we all got back from church and most of the district collapsed and fell asleep on the floor (except for me and Elder Guy, who took the pictures) in the classroom where we meet after church.

We invented a new game here.  It's called Trashketball.  You hang one of those rectangular trash cans from the ledge on a blackboard (the one you put the chalk and erasers on), ball up some pieces of paper, and remove the bag.  Then you sit at a desk at the back of the room and shoot the balls of paper at the basket.  If the ball goes in, you get a point.  If it hits the blackboard first, you get an extra point.  Once everyone has made three shots, you have a rock-paper-scissors tournament.  The winner gets three extra shots.  Then it repeats.  First to have at least twenty points, and be winning by at least two points, is declared the winner.

Did you see President Monson's 85th birthday celebration?  If not, you really should.  It's on LDS.org under broadcasts, then special broadcasts.

I actually do need some stamps.  We run through them pretty quick here.  I also have a strange sort of request.  You see, I've realized that having just solid colored T-shirts is really boring.  And someone here taught me how to make some coloration alterations using diluted bleach.  I can get most of the required stuff here, but there is one thing that I can't get.  I need about two arm's lengths of wax freezer paper so I can make designs and stuff (it blocks the bleach).  Do you think you could send me some?  If you can't send me some, that's OK.  I'll buy some when I get to the mission field or something.  You can usually get that kind of stuff at the American grocery stores that my companion assures me are in Cambodia/Vietnam.  Thanks in advance.

You should probably reply via DearElder, or snail mail, as I can only use E-mail on Tuesdays, but I can read letters any old time.

Cheers,

Elder Nguyen








No comments:

Post a Comment